Sunday, November 15, 2009

Renewed Faith in Human Kindness

So yesterday I embarked on an air travel adventure with Lila, now 10 1/2 month’s old.  I woke up with knots of anxiety in my stomach wondering how the day would unfold.  Would she be cooperative?  Would the people sitting around me be understanding  if she completely lost it?  Would I survive emotionally??  :))  It was not the first time I’ve flown with her, but this was my first flight alone with her and the first time where I knew she probably wouldn’t sleep the entire flight like she had the first time. 

I couldn’t have been more amazed at how the day ending up turning 0ut.  After an interesting trek to the gate I sat down to catch my breath and relax before we had to board.  I hadn’t been sitting even  5 minutes when the Delta rep. came over to me and asked me for my boarding pass.  When I handed it to him he said he would be right back with a smile on his face.  When he came back he said he had blocked the entire row off for me where my seat was so I would have room to put the arm rests up and relax more with Lila.  I was so happy, shocked and very appreciative. 

After a few more minutes, they started boarding the plane.  I decided since I had the entire row, I would just wait to board the plane at the very end because I knew I wouldn’t need to load anything in the overhead compartment.  So after the last person boarded, we headed down towards the plane and a man came up behind us and asked, “Do you have only 1 seat?”  I was not understanding why he would be asking and said “Yes, why do you ask?”  He then said again, “so you don’t have a seat for your baby?”  When I said, “No” he said, “Well I have a first-class seat, please take my seat so you have more room.  You will need it more than I will.”  Are you kidding me?  Who does that?  Who gives up a first-class seat to a complete stranger?  That’s when I started feeling like I was dreaming a little.  Although very appreciative of this man’s offer, I definitely couldn’t take it and kept my seat telling him that I thought I was going to have the entire row.  He said, “well if you are the least bit uncomfortable, please come and get me and we can trade seats.” 

Later in the flight the flight attendant came up to me and asked if I would like a break, that she wouldn’t mind holding Lila for me for a bit.  She took her up and down the aisle for about 2o minutes which was a very nice break for me. 

All these events really got me thinking, thinking how refreshing it was to see and feel the warmth of these people when all I was to them was a complete stranger.  It also made me realize how wrong I was with how people would treat the ‘person with the baby’ on a plane. 

Thank you to all those who renewed my faith in human kindness yesterday!!!  I can’t wait to ‘pass it on’ to others each and every day.  And what a great start to the upcoming holiday season!

jill  xxxooo

1 comment: