Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Perfect Fabric Flower

So in my endless search for the perfect fabric flower for some of my jewelry designs, I finally decided it was time to figure out how to make my own since I could never find quite what I was looking for.  So I ordered some fabric, went to work and WaaaaLaaaaaaa.   Isn’t she soooo cute!?!? 

DSC_0848 DSC_0843 There are a lot of different instructions out there so I started with this one, Frayed Flower from Maize in Montana, and then improvised as I went.  I started with a 2” x 44” piece of fabric.  I got mine from CraftConn

I folded a small piece on one end and made a stitch, then I stitched down the bottom of one side in a large stitch pattern.  When I got to the end of the fabric, I folded another small lip and did the final stitch into it.  I then pulled the thread so the fabric bunched up.  With the thread and needle still attached, I wrapped the fabric around in a circular pattern to make a flower.  I then sewed through all the layers to secure it.  Then I sewed a button in the middle (optional).

I wasn’t happy with the flatness of it, so I pushed the flower in and made quite a few stitches a little ways up from the bottom (this will depend on how much you want the flower to poof out.  It’s kind of hard to explain but I think you’ll know what I mean when you get to that point, if not, let me know and I can help you out. 

If all that seems like too much, I may make a few into pins or clips and carry them in my Etsy store….

Happy Valentine’s Day!!!!!!

xxxOOO

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment